The Thoracic Surgery Division at SSMC is the only surgery unit in the UAE to offer the full range of thoracic surgery care from trauma, infection, and pleural diseases to cancer including curative and palliative care.
We offer diagnostic, staging, and therapeutic services for all thoracic oncology (lungs, pleura, esophagus, chest wall, and mediastinum), thoracic trauma, and non-cancerous thoracic disorders including congenital/developmental and acquired diseases of the chest.
Furthermore, we are the only Thoracic Surgery Unit within the SEHA network to routinely provide the National Specialist Surgical Service for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi as well as the Northern Emirates.
Why choose SSMC?
Comprising a team of three internationally distinguished surgeons with national leadership roles, multiple peer-reviewed publications, and over 20 years of experience in the field, we offer unparalleled clinical and surgical expertise.
Furthermore, we are the referral center for hospitals and other specialties for complex cases like repairing intra-thoracic post-operative complications.
Areas of expertise
- Airway surgery & stenting
- Oesophageal cancer surgery
- Minimally invasive thoracic cancer surgery
- Major complex open thoracic surgery including reconstructive hilar & chest wall surgery
- Chest trauma including reconstructive surgery, rib, & sternal fracture fixation
- Endobronchial therapy with endobronchial ultrasound & electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy
Surgical & nonsurgical treatments & techniques
- Advanced localization techniques
- Image-guided marking techniques
- Indocyanine green infrared visualization
- Archimedes virtual bronchoscopy navigation system
- Management of pleural effusion
- Stenting for management of tracheal & esophageal problems
- Brace for pectus carinatum
Unique cases at SSMC
- Polytrauma patients with multiple ribs & sternal fracture internal fixation
- Resection & joint plastic surgical reconstruction of chest wall sarcomas & other tumors
- Pediatric oncological surgery for children with chest malignancy
- Minimal access thymectomy for myasthenia & malignancy
- Uniportal lobectomy for lung cancer
- Oesophagectomy for esophageal cancer