The Gastroenterology and Hepatology Department at Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City (SSMC) in Abu Dhabi provides state-of-the-art medical care for patients with gastrointestinal disorders, liver diseases, cancers, and nutritional problems.
Why choose SSMC?
We are equipped with the capability to assess and treat symptoms of the digestive tract and liver, including common conditions such as heartburn, ulcers, constipation, and diarrhea, as well as performing biopsy and staging intestinal cancers. We also provide care for complex conditions such as hepatitis, liver tumors, fatty liver, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Our North American and European board-certified physicians are leading experts in the field, utilizing the most advanced technology to offer patients high-quality care.
We also pride ourselves in offering our female patients a comfortable experience by having an exceptionally skilled multispecialty female-only team.
Areas of expertise
- Artificial intelligence enhanced colonoscopy
- Spiral enteroscopy to examine the entire small intestine
- Digital spyglass cholangioscopy to treat complex bile duct stones and strictures
- Transoral incisionless fundoplication for gastroesophageal reflux disease and heartburn
- Non-invasive fibroscan assessment of liver fibrosis and cirrhosis
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for achalasia (lower esophageal sphincter
Unique cases at SSMC
- Complex Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Pancreas tumors and cysts that require multidisciplinary care by a team of experts
- Colon polyps and upper GI tract disorders treated non-surgically with EMR and ESD
- Obesity with non-surgical endoscopic therapies such as sleeve gastroplasty
GI Genius is a cutting-edge artificial intelligence (AI) system used to perform gastrointestinal endoscopy procedures for the diagnosis of colon polyps. It is approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Department of Health (DOH) – Abu Dhabi. The AI solution is designed to assist in colonoscopy procedures and offers one of the highest increases in polyp detection compared to other diagnostic technologies, thus minimizing the risk of fatalities from colon cancer by 50%. Read More
SSMC offers the innovative POEM (peroral endoscopic myotomy) procedure to treat swallowing disorders caused by muscle problems such as spasms in the esophagus and stomach, namely Zenker's diverticulum, achalasia and gastroparesis. Learn More